Special Immigration Alert: Spring Breakers: Remember to Take Appropriate Travel Documents If You Travel Abroad

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the agency that inspects travelers seeking to enter the United States, is warning those who plan spring break trips to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean to make sure they have the proper documents. This includes the documents required to enter the country of destination as well as the documents required to return to the United States.

To return to this country, all travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, are now required to present documents that verify their citizenship and identity. Appropriate documents can include a passport, a trusted traveler program card like NEXUS or SENTRI, or a birth certificate with a driver's license. U.S. permanent residents also can present a I-551 form, commonly referred to as a green card. Travelers who are 18 and under can submit just a birth certificate.

The State Department (DOS) also has posted safety tips for students traveling abroad at its website: www.studentsabroad.state.gov. In this regard, the DOS strongly recommends travel registration, since this will make it easier to contact a traveler if a family emergency arises in the United States or because of a crisis in the foreign country.

For additional information and a complete list of details, please refer to the Fact Sheet available at www.cbp.gov. For information on where to apply for a U.S. passport, please visit U.S. Department of State or United States Postal Service websites: www.state.gov or www.usps.com.