KATHERINE O’BRIEN is Of Counsel to the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the New York office of Epstein Becker Green. She has 25 years of employment law and human resources experience.
- Provides strategic legal counsel and risk management advice to employers on a wide variety of human resources and employment matters, including compensation, performance management, separation and discharge, leaves of absence, discrimination, harassment, diversity and inclusion, workplace privacy, wage and hour compliance, restrictive covenants, reasonable accommodations, avoidance of litigation, internal investigations, and reductions in force
- Drafts and analyzes employment policies and procedures, employee handbooks, employment contracts, restrictive covenants and confidentiality agreements, hiring documentation, and severance agreements to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local law and best practices
- Counsels clients on employee benefits issues, including compliance with the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Advises companies involved in corporate merger, acquisition, and divestiture transactions on employment-related and restrictive covenant issues
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Ms. O’Brien served as Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer of a Fortune 60 company. She was also a member of the company’s Executive Management Committee and served in multiple, progressively responsible roles with the company’s Office of the General Counsel, Human Resources Department, and Office of Diversity. Previously, Ms. O’Brien worked with several law firms in New York in general commercial litigation matters.
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D.)
- Wesleyan University (B.A.)
- New York