David W. Garland, Member of the Firm and Chair of the Labor and Employment Steering Committee, will present “The On Demand Economy and the Contingent Workforce” at the XBHR Conference 2016: Models for Work in the New Global World.
In the “new world”, organizations are using diverse business models to fulfill their business needs. More and more companies utilize an “external,” or contingent, workforce through outsourcing, freelancers, temps, and other non-employee workers.
Typically, HR/Legal has ownership of managing the internal workforce. However, the use of other forms of manpower often comes about through the business with limited involvement of HR.
This presentation will discuss:
- What does this mean for HR/Legal?
- Should they/must they own this? What are the pros and cons?
- Risks-financial, legal, talent, and culture?
- Confidentiality of employer information
- Protection against unfair competition – are non-competes recommended and enforceable?
- Data privacy issues – any unique challenges?
- Who is responsible for health and safety issues of the on demand workforce?
- What are the best practices for these new on demand workforce challenges?
For more information, visit XBHR.com.