The U.S. Department of Labor (“DOL”) recently announced that it has extended for three years the validity of its current online notices and medical certification forms for use in connection with leaves of absence under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”). The forms, which were originally set to expire on August 31, 2018, are now valid through August 31, 2021. The new expiration date is located on the top-right corner of the model FMLA forms. The DOL has not made any substantive changes to these forms.
Employers can access the DOL's updated FMLA forms at the following links:
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee’s Serious Health Condition
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member’s Serious Health Condition
- Certification for Serious Injury or Illness of a Current Service member—for Military Family Leave
- Certification for Serious Injury or Illness of a Veteran for Military Caregiver Leave
- Notice of Eligibility and Rights & Responsibilities
- Designation Notice
- Certification of Qualifying Exigency for Military Family Leave
What Employers Should Do Now
Employers that use the DOL's FMLA forms in connection with employee leaves of absence under the FMLA should ensure that they utilize the updated forms, which can be downloaded through the links above.
For more information about this Advisory, please contact: