Gary W. Herschman, Health Care Mergers and Acquisitions attorney, in the firm’s Newark office, was featured in Healio, in “Several Factors May Increase Trend of Private Equity Transactions with Physician Practices,” by Casey Tingle.

Following is an excerpt:

In this video, Gary W. Herschman, JD, discusses the increase in physician transactions with private equity firms and four major reasons for this trend.

“The first driver of this is the ability to monetize the true value of a physician practice,” Herschman, an attorney in the health care and life sciences practice of Epstein Becker Green, told Healio.

Herschman noted 90% or more of physician groups have corporate agreements detailing the amount a physician receives when he or she retires, which is usually a flat amount. However, a private equity transaction “monetizes the true value of the practice in the market,” according to Herschman.

“By doing a transaction, the true value of the practice is calculated by a potential partner or buyer and then, usually, 70% to 80% of that is taken out as cash at the closing, and the other 20% to 30% is rollover equity that the physicians have moving forward to stay aligned,” Hershman said. “So, you can imagine that by doing that, it’s more monetarily advantageous for the physicians.”

He added physicians are starting to see the advantages of joining a larger organization, which include substantial capital for growth and the assistance of professional corporate leadership teams in addressing challenges, such as reimbursement reductions and the shift to value-based care.

“The third reason is economies of scale,” Herschman said. “Being part of a larger organization allows for economies of scale using this sophisticated corporate infrastructure and capital to support a lot of groups and obviously, that’s important. Manage care contracting expertise, health care information technology expertise, [human resources] compliance and benefits consulting — all of that regulatory compliance is all under one big corporate infrastructure.”

The final reason that private equity transactions is on the rise among physician practices is due to the “fear of missing out,” according to Herschman.

Jump to Page

Privacy Preference Center

When you visit any website, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. This information might be about you, your preferences or your device and is mostly used to make the site work as you expect it to. The information does not usually directly identify you, but it can give you a more personalized web experience. Because we respect your right to privacy, you can choose not to allow some types of cookies. Click on the different category headings to find out more and change our default settings. However, blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience of the site and the services we are able to offer.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site, and will not be able to monitor its performance.