Nathaniel Glasser and Valerie Butera, Members of the Firm, will present “Getting Out of the Weeds: What Employers Need to Know About Marijuana in the Workplace,” a webinar hosted by Lawline.
Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia have legalized the use of marijuana, yet the drug remains classified as a Schedule I illegal substance under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This dichotomy has left employers with many questions about how to safeguard their workplace and enforce drug-free policies without running afoul of applicable laws. This session will discuss the effect of state legalization laws on drug testing, drug-free workplace policies, and the discipline and accommodation of marijuana users. Strategies for dealing with the changing landscape will also be presented.
Learning objectives include:
- Understand the various protections provided by state legalization laws, including decriminalization, nondiscrimination, and accommodation
- Identify current federal enforcement priorities under the Controlled Substances Act
- Discuss the effect of state legalization laws on drug-free workplace policies
- Explore whether employers must accommodate an employee’s use of medical marijuana
- How to respond to increasing numbers of pre-employment and on-the-job positive test results for marijuana
- Recognize elevated hazards presented by marijuana use by employees required to operate motor vehicles
- Address OSHA’s recommendations for dealing with employees who use marijuana
- Propose strategies for dealing with inherent conflicts in state and federal law
For more information, visit Lawline.com.