George Breen, Chair of the firm's National Health Care and Life Sciences Practice Steering Committee, will present "Living in the EHR: Practical Advice to Avoid the Compliance Pitfalls and Protect Your Practice" at the HCCA's Clinical Practice Compliance Conference.
Electronic Health Records are being fully implemented across the healthcare continuum. As such, ensuring accurate quality documentation is paramount. In December 2013, the OIG published a report citing lack of safeguards consistently implemented in EHR technology. In its 2014 Work Plan, the OIG will be investigating physician office visit documentation for cloning which may have led to over coding and overpayment of office visits. This presentation will explore the risks and vulnerabilities to guard against in hospital and physician electronic health records, including:
- Convergence of EHR documentation and billing data
- Practical issues with printing from an EHR
- Cloning of visit notes
- Copy/paste risk
- Smart text/ smart phrase implementation
- Fraud safeguards
- Implications for EHR incentive payments
- Quality of documentation
- How do errors in documentation get "undone?"
For more information, visit HCCA-info.org.
- Board of Directors / Member of the Firm