Susan Gross Sholinsky, Jennifer Nutter, Nancy Gunzenhauser Popper, attorneys, and Eduardo J. Quiroga, Law Clerk – Admission Pending, in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, co-authored an article in TLNT, titled “California Expands Harassment Training Requirements and Extends Deadline.”
Following is an excerpt:
California recently approved an extension to the deadline for California employers to comply with the state’s new anti-harassment training mandate. As originally adopted, the initial training deadline was January 1, 2020 — it is now January 1, 2021. In addition, SB 778, which extended the deadline, clarifies employer obligations concerning the retraining of supervisory employees who received training in 2018. …
What California employers should do now
- Employers with 50 or more employees must continue to adhere to their training obligations concerning supervisory personnel.
- Employers with 50 or more employees, as well as smaller employers, should be aware that they now have an additional year to comply with the new training mandates imposed by the 2018 law.
- Employers should take note of these additional resources:
- The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (“DFEH”) will develop compliant online training programs for both supervisory and nonsupervisory personnel. In the meantime, the DFEH has created a Sexual Harassment and Abusive Conduct Prevention Toolkit, including a sample training that may be presented by a qualified “trainer.” (The term “trainer” is defined in the regulations to include attorneys and human resources professionals with particular experience.) The agency also has posted FAQs on its website.
- Epstein Becker Green offers both live, in-person training and an online training program called “Halting Harassment” that fully comply with California’s harassment prevention training requirements.
For more information on Epstein Becker Green’s anti-harassment e-learning solution, please visit Halting Harassment: Rules of the Road for a Respectful and Inclusive Workplace.