IAN CARLETON SCHAEFER is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the New York office of Epstein Becker Green, and a member of the firm’s National Employment, Labor & Workforce Management Steering Committee. In addition, he co-leads the Technology, Media, and Telecommunications ("TMT") service team.
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America©, The Legal 500 United States, and the New York Metro Rising Stars list, Mr. Schaefer has developed a reputation for his practical, business-enabling, and results-driven approach to partnering with employers on the full spectrum of workplace and human capital initiatives on a domestic and global basis. In addition to his robust TMT practice, Mr. Schaefer’s practice currently includes the representation of professional sports leagues and their member clubs in the United States and internationally, as well as several of the most preeminent arts and entertainment organizations in the world.
Mr. Schaefer regularly provides strategic labor and employment advice to companies, boards of directors, senior executives, and general counsel on a wide variety of employment-related issues, and is frequently called upon to conduct sensitive, bet-the-company investigations into allegations stemming from #MeToo, harassment and discrimination, and other forms of misconduct.
Additionally, he designs and conducts high-profile training programs for C-suite, senior management, and large-scale employee workforces regarding anti-harassment/non-discrimination in the workplace and HR best practices and initiatives, and notably, he was the principal designer, co-producer, and featured co-host of Halting Harassment, EBG’s digital, anti-harassment training solution.
Prior to joining EBG, Mr. Schaefer practiced labor and employment law at the New York office of an international law firm, where among other accomplishments, he co-authored the successful briefs in the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision 14 Penn Plaza v. Pyett, a 5-4 decision of importance to employers that modified 35 years of labor law.
And for nearly a decade, Mr. Schaefer served concurrently as the Head of Employment Law for BT Americas Inc. ("BT"), a subsidiary of British Telecommunications plc, where he was responsible for management and oversight for all litigation and workforce management matters in the United States and Canada, and led critical cross-border labor and employment initiatives. The Legal 500 UK named the BT group “Litigation Team of the Year.”
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Fordham Urban Law Journal, Symposium Editor
- Cornell University (B.S., 2001)
- School of Industrial and Labor Relations
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association, International Labor & Employment Law Section
- New York Youth Symphony, Trustee & General Counsel
- The Rhythm Club of Jazz at Lincoln Center, Co-Founder
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Employment Law—Management (2019, 2020)
- The Legal 500 United States: Workplace and Employment Counseling (2016 to 2019), Labor and Employment Disputes (Including Collective Actions): Defense (2018, 2019)
- New York Metro Rising Stars: Employment & Labor (2011, 2013 to 2019)