Attorneys in Epstein Becker Green’s Government Contracts/Litigation Group assist clients in resolving complex disputes in both public contract and commercial settings. Our attorneys represent some of the largest companies in the defense, energy, telecommunications, pharmaceutical, health care, and construction industries, as well as small, mid-sized, and emerging companies and public entities.
In addition to representing clients in court, arbitration, and mediation proceedings, our attorneys regularly appear before various governmental bodies, including the Government Accountability Office, the Small Business Administration, and the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.
The litigation matters handled by Epstein Becker Green's Government Contracts/Litigation Group include the following:
- Bid protests (both prosecution and defense)
- Contract claims, including environmental, construction, weapon, and information systems and health care
- Wage and hour disputes
- Contractors' trade secrets and data rights claims
- Disputes involving compliance issues, such as cost accounting, the Procurement Integrity Act, and the Truth in Negotiations Act
- Disputes arising from subcontracts and teaming agreements
- Assertion and defense of Small Business Administration protests, including size, affiliation, and mentoring issues
- Defense of construction business owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, architects, and sureties in a wide range of commercial and contract disputes
Our litigation experience includes the following matters:
- We successfully defended four protests and three appeals that resulted in the award of a $1.1 billion state pharmacy benefit management (PBM) services contract to the firm's client. Under the contract, the client will provide PBM services to more than 200,000 state employees, retirees, and their dependents. After a nine-day hearing, the Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals issued a unanimous 94-page opinion in our client's favor.
- We successfully defended contractors in a jury trial against a $2 billion claim for business losses following the crash of an airplane in the Florida Everglades.
- We provided successful representation in a suit to enjoin the Department of Energy from awarding a $1 billion contract regarding a nuclear waste management system. The court granted plaintiff's motion for preliminary injunction after a four-day hearing and granted plaintiff's request for a permanent injunction after a six-week trial.
- We obtained a permanent injunction for a health care provider against a competitor's $225 million contract for health care services.
- We successfully represented a major transit authority against a claim seeking approximately $50 million, based on theories of fraud, breach of contract, and unilateral mistake. After a six-week trial and 10 days of deliberation, the jury returned a verdict for our client. We successfully defended the verdict on appeal.