ELLEN C. BONNER is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Nashville office of Epstein Becker Green. Her practice focuses on TRICARE, Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA), government contracts, health care, and legal and regulatory compliance. In 2018, she was recommended by The Legal 500 United States, in the Healthcare: Service Providers and Healthcare: Health Insurers categories.
With more than 20 years of government contracts and health care experience in both the public and private sectors, Ms. Bonner provides strategic advice to companies seeking business with the federal government as well as state and local governments. As a former federal government health care lawyer and as a former executive with health care insurance companies, Ms. Bonner has successfully litigated and advised on multibillion-dollar health care contracts and brings a comprehensive and invaluable perspective to the demands of a government contract or health care business.
Ms. Bonner’s experience includes:
- Strategically counseling health care clients on legal and regulatory compliance, policy, CPT coding, contract management and administration, TRICARE, Medicare, Medicare Advantage, and Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP)
- Advising on grants and COVID-19, CARES Act, and Payroll Protection Program and Health Care Act grant compliance, and assisting clients with responding to government investigations of grant funding
- Counseling and representing clients on TRICARE ABA audits, Stark Law, telemedicine fraud, and other federal and state fraud and abuse laws, as well as on compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Providing advice on all government contract matters, including government contracting compliance and procurement ethics, contract administration, subcontracts, teaming agreements, cooperative agreements, affirmative action plans, General Services Administration schedules, small business government contracting, size appeals before the Small Business Administration, and organizational conflict-of-interest issues
- Litigating before the General Accountability Office, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, state district courts
- Representing clients in U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and Defense Health Agency (DHA) administrative hearings
- Assisting clients with responding to TRICARE and Medicare government investigations, audit requests, and inquiries relating to government health care programs
- Providing clients with compliance and ethics training
Ms. Bonner previously served as Assistant General Counsel for the DoD’s TRICARE Management Activity (now the DHA). In that role, she reviewed, advised on, and litigated government health care contracts; represented the government in administrative hearings; and counseled the government on health care policy and health care fraud. Her business experience includes serving as Vice President of Government Contracts for a Wisconsin health insurance company and on the Executive Leadership Team and the Compliance Council of a government contracts health care subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company, where she was also Vice President and Senior Counsel.
Over the course of her career, Ms. Bonner has developed a comprehensive understanding of the government procurement process, as both legal counsel and an operations executive. She advises her clients on obtaining and retaining government contracts while simultaneously achieving the clients’ business objectives. In addition, Ms. Bonner speaks frequently on current issues facing the government contracting community.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D.)
- University of Oklahoma (B.A.)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Oklahoma