DAVID FLORIN is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Washington, DC, office of Epstein Becker Green. He has more than 35 years of health law experience. In 2017, he was recommended by The Legal 500 United States in the areas of Healthcare: Health Insurers and Healthcare: Service Providers.
- Provides strategic and legal advice to academic medical centers, hospitals, medical schools, faculty practice plans, physician groups, and other providers with respect to contracting, acquisitions, affiliations, physician integration, peer review, medical staff, and governance matters
- Counsels clients on health regulatory and reimbursement issues affecting the planning and structuring of health care transactions and business arrangements
- Provides counsel on HIPAA compliance and the permissible use and disclosure of protected health information (PHI), works with clients to develop HIPAA privacy policies and procedures to protect PHI, and reviews and drafts business associate agreements
- Assists clients in developing, implementing, and evaluating health care corporate compliance programs
- Drafts and negotiates various contracts, including affiliation, physician employment, licensing, technology, non-disclosure, and management and professional services agreements, among others
- Advises clients with respect to issues concerning clinical trials, medical research, institutional review boards (IRBs), human research protection programs (HRPPs), contracts with external IRBs, FDA audits of clinical trials, and related matters
- Represents health care providers in preparing for, and responding to, government audits and investigations and in conducting internal reviews and investigations
- Represents clients in disputes involving claims of antitrust violations, ERISA, personnel and employment issues, contract disputes, and insurance coverage
Most recently, as part of his practice at Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Florin served as the first full-time General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer for a local multi-hospital health system. In this dual role, he was responsible for the management and resolution of all system legal issues and served as a strategic advisor to the President and CEO, Board of Trustees, and executive leadership team. During his tenure, the system grew from a single-hospital, $785M regional referral center to a three-hospital, $1.1B regional health system, employing over 500 professionals and 5000 employees.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Florin was the Deputy General Counsel for Health Affairs at Yale University, where he was primarily responsible for providing counsel, management, strategic direction, and resolution of all legal issues that impacted Yale School of Medicine, a major research, education, and clinical operation that includes the 1,400+ physician Yale Medical Group, the largest academic medical practice in New England; Yale School of Nursing; Yale School of Public Health; and YaleHealth, a staff model HMO. Earlier in his legal career, Mr. Florin was a partner at a health care boutique firm in Washington, DC. Later, he became a partner and a member of the Health Care and Insurance Groups of an international law firm and also served as outside General Counsel for a health care system and a national trade association.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 1977)
- State University of New York, University Center at Binghamton (B.A., magna cum laude, 1974)
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- The Counsellors
- District of Columbia Bar, Litigation Section Steering Committee
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)