DAVID E. WEINER is a Senior Counsel in the firm’s New York office. His practice focuses on developing structures to optimize tax efficiency of acquisitions, dispositions, and joint ventures, undertaking tax due diligence of potential targets, and negotiating and drafting tax-related provisions of operating agreements. He also assists clients with internal restructurings to help reduce domestic and global effective tax rates. He has extensive experience working with private equity funds and hedge funds, including the tax intricacies related to U.S., non-U.S., and tax-exempt investors.
- Represents clients with respect to tax aspects of asset and equity acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings, liquidations, financing arrangements, and public and private placements of equity and debt
- Advises clients as to tax implications of investments including U.S. tax exposure, timing, and character of income, deductibility issues, and related matters
- Provides structuring advice for transactions and investments and assists in forming complex investment fund and joint venture structures and vehicles to help ensure tax efficiency
- Determines propriety of litigations and IRS actions and advises as to possible responsive actions
In addition to co-authoring articles for The Tax Adviser regarding treaty implications and E&P calculations, Mr. Weiner has presented CLE and CPE lectures on wide-range of matters including controlled foreign corporations, passive foreign investment companies, and U.S. taxable presence under domestic law and treaties for Strafford, Bloomberg BNA and his places of work.
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Weiner spent seven years at two global accounting firms, focused on domestic and international tax issues related to mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and ongoing operations. He had previously practiced in two New York-based law firms, advising on domestic and cross-border tax issues in connection with transactions and litigations. Earlier in his law career, Mr. Weiner served as an Assistant Corporation Counsel at the New York City Law Department – Office of the Corporation Counsel.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M., 2004)
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1996)
- Note and Comment Editor, Journal of Law and Policy
- Lehigh University (B.S., 1991)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York