BRIAN E. SPANG is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the Chicago office of Epstein Becker Green. He has nearly 20 years of experience litigating on behalf of Fortune 50 companies, as well as representing, counseling, and advising Fortune 50 and mid- and small-sized employers on all aspects of employment law.
- Prosecutes and defends non-compete and trade secret cases
- Counsels employers on drafting and implementing employment contracts, restrictive covenants, and other related policies
- Defends financial services and other clients in wage-and-hour class and collective actions
- Represents employers before state and federal courts, arbitrators, and administrative agencies in employment matters, including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, and discrimination actions
Mr. Spang’s extensive courtroom experience litigating trade secret and restrictive covenant cases includes successfully first-chairing multiple preliminary injunction hearings, second-chairing a two-week jury trial and a multi-day preliminary injunction hearing, and litigating a multi-week arbitration. He also has obtained, and defended against, emergency temporary restraining orders in jurisdictions across the country.
In addition, Mr. Spang has defeated first-stage motions for conditional certification in FLSA collective actions and won motions to dismiss putative class actions. He also has obtained summary judgment in numerous single-plaintiff employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, FLSA and FMLA cases, and successfully defended summary judgments on appeal.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Spang was a labor and employment attorney at an international law firm and at a labor and employment law boutique firm.
Following law school, Mr. Spang clerked for U.S. Magistrate Judge Roger B. Cosbey (retired) in the Northern District of Indiana.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1997)
- Administrative Editor, The Elder Law Journal
- College of William and Mary (A.B., with honors, 1994)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan