AMY F. LERMAN is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Washington, DC, office of Epstein Becker Green. Ms. Lerman focuses her practice on a variety of regulatory and transactional health care matters, including telehealth and telemedicine, government investigations, corporate compliance, durable medical equipment, and Medicare program integrity auditing and monitoring. She represents a variety of health care providers and organizations, as well as investors and other financial institutions that invest in or support the health care industry.
In 2018 and 2019, Ms. Lerman was recommended by The Legal 500 United States in the Healthcare: Service Providers category, and she was cited among the "Next Generation Lawyers."
- Counsels telehealth and telemedicine companies, and other health care providers and organizations engaging or seeking to engage in telehealth and telemedicine, regarding various legal and regulatory considerations (see Telehealth & Telemedicine Experience, below)
- Advises clients in connection with government investigations relating to health care fraud and abuse
- Counsels clients in the areas of federal and state fraud issues, including anti-kickback, self-referral, false claims, and false billings
- Advises clients on legal, regulatory, and reimbursement matters arising under the Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party reimbursement programs
- Advises and assists clients in evaluating, developing, and implementing health care corporate compliance programs
- Advises health providers and health-related companies, financial institutions, and investors of industry trends and policy developments
- Represents clients in a variety of health care transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and affiliations
- Conducts health regulatory due diligence reviews
Telehealth & Telemedicine Experience
Ms. Lerman also has significant experience advising clients on regulatory considerations related to telehealth, telemedicine, and other mobile health and health technology issues. Her experience includes:
- Advising clients on regulatory compliance, reimbursement, coverage, and policy issues related to the use of telehealth, telemedicine, mobile health, and related health technology platforms
- Counseling clients on compliance with state and federal laws affecting provision of telehealth and telemedicine services, including issues related to practice of medicine/scope of practice, licensure, online prescribing, reimbursement and coverage, privacy and security, and risk management
- Assisting clients with regard to the regulatory issues in establishing regional and national telemedicine networks
In addition, Ms. Lerman co-authored the firm’s Telemental Health Laws app, a comprehensive survey of state telehealth laws, regulations, and policies for mental and behavioral health practitioners and stakeholders across all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Professional and Educational Background
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Ms. Lerman worked for a technology company providing customized health care provider information, where she assisted with product development and design and supported employer clients using the software. Previously, she worked for a large consulting firm in its health care practice; in this position, she evaluated the design and financing of health and welfare benefit plans for Fortune 500 employer clients.
While attending the University of Maryland School of Law, Ms. Lerman served as the Editor-in-Chief of their Journal of Health Care Law & Policy; worked as a legal intern for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, where she provided legal research support and drafted legal memoranda regarding agency rulemaking, program review, and allegations brought under the False Claims Act; and served as a legal intern for the State of Maryland Office of the Attorney General, where she assisted prosecutors with preparation for disciplinary proceedings against state health practitioners. Ms. Lerman completed the University of Maryland School of Law concentration in Health Law.
In the fall of 2018, Ms. Lerman guest lectured on digital health law at Cornell Tech.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Health Care Law & Policy
- Columbia University (M.P.H., 2004)
- Health Policy & Management
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1998)
- History & Sociology of Science
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Fraud and Abuse Practice Group Compliance Committee