AMY B. MESSIGIAN is a Senior Attorney in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the firm's Los Angeles office. She represents employers in the health care, manufacturing, hospitality, pest control, entertainment, retail, and transportation industries, among others.
- Represents management in single and multi-plaintiff litigation, including the defense of wage and hour, discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and accommodation claims, and in matters before the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, and other administrative agencies
- Counsels clients on compliance with state and federal leave laws and on employee handbooks and policies, discipline and separation procedures, and social media and workplace privacy issues
- Negotiates copyright ownership and administrative agreements and drafts confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements for clients in the entertainment industry, analyzes issues relating to the fair use of published music, and counsels on issues relating to independent trailer music publishers
In October 2011, Ms. Messigian was asked to serve as a founding member of Public Counsel Law Center's Associate Leadership Board ("ALB"). Prospective ALB members were selected by nomination from within the Public Counsel Law Center and among the private bar, based on their commitment to social justice and pro bono work. The ALB meets three times each year to develop and provide feedback on new pro bono projects, create innovative outreach strategies, and brainstorm new fundraising opportunities to attract professionals to Public Counsel Law Center's mission and work. Ms. Messigian is also on the Steering Committee of the Junior Statesmen of America Alumni Association.
Ms. Messigian was named to the Southern California Rising Stars list (2016 to 2018) in the areas of Employment & Labor: Employer and Employment Litigation: Defense. She speaks and writes frequently on current developments in employment law. In January 2011, Ms. Messigian presented the keynote address at the Greater Los Angeles Association of Legal Administrators' Annual Employment Law Forum. She currently serves as Editor of Los Angeles Lawyer, a publication of the Los Angeles Bar Association. She also provides pro bono legal assistance through Public Counsel Law Center to several Los Angeles area employers. In 2010, Ms. Messigian received the Volunteer of the Year Award from Public Counsel Law Center's Community Development Project.
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Ms. Messigian worked as an associate at an Am Law 200 law firm in Los Angeles, where she advised employers and represented management in all forms of labor and employment disputes.
While at Georgetown University Law Center, Ms. Messigian served as a Senior Articles & Notes Editor for the American Criminal Law Review and as the Editor-in-Chief of the Georgetown Law Weekly. As a member of the International Women's Human Rights Clinic at Georgetown, Ms. Messigian successfully challenged a law in the Ugandan Constitutional Court.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 2006)
- University of California (B.A., 2001)
- Los Angeles, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Woman Advocate Committee
- Georgetown Entertainment and Media Alliance
- Junior Statesmen of America Alumni Association, Steering Committee
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Public Counsel Associate Leadership Board, Member
- State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Law Section