YULIAN SHTERN is an Associate in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the Newark office of Epstein Becker Green. Mr. Shtern’s practice focuses on representing clients in health care transactional, corporate, and regulatory matters. His clients include a broad range of health care providers, such as adult care facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, ambulette and ambulance service providers, dialysis facilities, health systems, home health agencies, hospitals, long-term care facilities, and private equity and other health care investors.
- Guides clients through complex health care transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
- Provides regulatory compliance guidance on federal and state health care fraud and abuse laws, including the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute, and Medicare and Medicaid requirements
- Assists clients in developing and implementing effective corporate compliance and HIPAA compliance programs
- Represents and defends health care providers in audits, overpayment recovery actions, government investigations, and adverse credentialing actions
- Monitors the rapidly changing developments in laws and regulations affecting the health care industry, including laws and regulations affecting emerging businesses and entrepreneurs
Mr. Shtern has spoken and coauthored articles on various health care topics and is a contributor to both Physicians Practice, a leading web-based blog for the medical community, and The Answer Page, a leading CME provider.
Before joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Shtern was a health care attorney at a Long Island law firm. Prior to that, he was a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Randolph F. Treece, Magistrate Judge for the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of New York, and then served as a Legal Fellow at the New York State Supreme Court, Second Department, Appellate Term.
In 2016, Mr. Shtern was named to the New York Metro Rising Stars list in the areas of Health Care and Business/Corporate.
- Albany Law School of Union University (J.D., magna cum laude, 2011)
- Member, Albany Law Review
- State University of New York at Albany (B.S., summa cum laude, 2009)
- New York
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Theodore Roosevelt, American Inn of Court