STEVEN M. SWIRSKY is a Member of the Firm in the Labor and Employment and Health Care and Life Sciences practices, in the firm's New York office. He regularly represents employers in a wide range of industries, including retail, health care, manufacturing, banking and financial services, manufacturing, transportation and distribution, electronics and publishing. He frequently advises and represents United States subsidiaries and branches of Asian, European and other foreign-based companies.
- Advises employers on a full range of labor and employment matters involving labor and employment issues in transactional matters
- Represents employers in union avoidance, organizing campaigns, and related proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board
- Represents employers in collective bargaining and in connection with strikes, picketing and arbitration proceedings
- Handles grievances and arbitrations concerning work rule disputes and discharges, for both unionized and non-unionized employers
- Assists with employment litigation, including Title VII, ADEA, ADA and other employment discrimination matters before state and federal courts and administrative tribunals including the EEOC, and the New York State Division of Human Rights
- Prepares and revises employment manuals and personnel policy manuals
- Structures employment agreements, including those involving protection of trade secrets and proprietary technology, and litigation involving employment contracts, restrictive covenants, and protection of confidential and proprietary information.
From 1978 to 1983, Mr. Swirsky served as a Field Attorney with the National Labor Relations Board in Brooklyn, New York.
Mr. Swirsky is a contributor to the Management Memo blog and the Health Employment And Labor blog. He frequently writes and speaks on a wide range of labor and employment law matters and presently serves on the boards of several not-for-profit organizations.
Law360 named Mr. Swirsky as one of only six Employment MVPs for 2014. He was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2006 to 2015) in the fields of Employment Law—Management and Labor Law—Management and New York Metro Super Lawyers list (2007 to 2013) in the areas of Employment and Labor and Employment Litigation: Defense. Mr. Swirsky is currently listed in PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook and was "Recommended" in the Labor–Management Relations category by The Legal 500 United States (2012 to 2014). He has received an "AV Preeminent" Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. In addition, he has been selected for inclusion in The American Lawyer and Martindale-Hubbell's Top Rated Lawyers 2013 list in Healthcare and Technology.
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 1978)
- Member, Urban Law Journal
- Cornell University (B.S., 1975)
- School of Industrial and Labor Relations
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Cornell University, Industrial and Labor Relations, Alumni Association
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association