Epstein Becker Green's Renewable Energy Practice Group advises clients on the structuring, development, and operation of projects involving renewable energy (such as biofuels, biomass, solar, and wind), energy efficiency, and LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification construction. Our clients include contractors, developers, financial institutions, investors, land owners, manufacturers, municipalities, and utilities in renewable energy projects.
Attorneys in our Renewable Energy Practice Group guide clients through the myriad federal, state, and local laws impacting renewable energy projects. Our services include:
- Providing due diligence for proposed projects, reviewing documents, and identifying risks
- Providing advice on siting, permitting, and environmental issues
- Structuring the project and obtaining financing (government grants, tax credits, and loan guarantees)
- Assisting clients in obtaining the proper government permits and certifications
- Negotiating and preparing various contracts, including construction, loan, operation and maintenance, power purchase, procurement, purchase and sale, real estate, and sale-leaseback agreements
- Providing advice and counsel in connection with title and zoning matters
- Counseling on sustainability issues and policies
- Protecting intellectual property and patents
Our attorneys represent clients in regulatory proceedings before various state public utility commissions. We also develop strategies to obtain renewable energy credits, carbon credits, and tax credits to help our clients maximize the tax advantages of their renewable energy project.
- Represented a large international energy client in connection with due diligence for a utility grade wind project in Central Pennsylvania
- Represented an international solar panel manufacturer and its affiliates with various projects in the Northeastern United States
- Represented a developer in connection with the public bid award of a power purchase agreement for a municipal public utility project