Epstein Becker Green's Franchising, Distribution & Dealership Group consists of transactional attorneys and commercial litigators who bring the balanced perspective and experience necessary to structure franchise and distribution relationships effectively, while making sure that clients comply with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations. Our group also includes several former in-house attorneys who are experienced in dealing with issues relating to brand protection, franchisee relations, and other mixed legal and business issues.
Our franchise clients—from startups to established public corporations—come from a variety of industries, including financial services, health care and life sciences, restaurant, and retail. We represent them in all stages of franchise registration, compliance, and development.
Services provided by our Franchising, Distribution & Dealership Group include, but are not limited to:
- Advising clients on franchise law and compliance, supply, and distribution
- Designing franchising programs and expansions for start-up and mature franchise systems—including offering supply chain, purchasing, and related operation solutions
- Preparing disclosure, franchise, licensing, distribution, and area development agreements
- Counseling on and structuring co-branding arrangements
- Filing state registration materials
- Managing ongoing compliance with disclosure laws, including assisting clients with ongoing registration requirements and the filing of annual reports
- Providing general business operational solutions
Additionally, we advise on restructuring licensing and distribution arrangements for those clients wishing to avoid being classified as a "franchisor" under federal and state law.
The Franchising, Distribution & Dealership Group is able to draw upon the knowledge, experience, and resources of attorneys in Epstein Becker Green's antitrust and competition, bankruptcy and reorganization, intellectual property, labor and employment, merger and acquisition, real estate, and tax groups, among others, to deliver comprehensive and cost-effective services to meet all our franchise clients' legal needs.