RYAN R. BENZ is an Associate in the Health Care and Life Sciences and Corporate Services practices, in the Chicago office of Epstein Becker Green.
- Counsels clients regarding the research, approval, sale, and promotion of pharmaceuticals, biologics, and medical devices
- Drafts and negotiates agreements with providers of clinical and non-clinical development services
- Represents health care, technology service providers and other companies in a broad range of commercial transactions, including, software and content licensing, cloud-based technology services, technology transfer, strategic alliance, distribution, supply, joint development, consulting, confidentiality, subcontracting, and IP and technology assignments
- Advises for-profit and not-for-profit health care clients on transactions and regulatory matters
- Advises clients on research compliance and human subject protection, including rules and regulations related to Institutional Review Board ("IRB") oversight of clinical research
- Counsels clients regarding federal and state laws relating to anti-kickback and fraud and abuse; the physician self-referral laws, also known as the Stark Law; data privacy and security laws; and the Physician Payment Sunshine Act
- Advises for-profit and not-for-profit businesses on mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Benz served as an Assistant General Counsel in the Office of Legal Affairs of Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, where, among other things, he advised on various regulatory matters such as research compliance, fraud and abuse, informed consents, data privacy and security, and intellectual property. Additionally, Mr. Benz negotiated agreements relating to matters such as animal and clinical research, clinical care, consulting, continuing medical education, facility use, confidentiality, data use, material transfer, joint development, software and content licensing, and information technology.
At DePaul University College of Law, Mr. Benz was a Health Law Institute Fellow, obtained a Certificate in Health Law, and received a CALI Award for Excellence in Health Care Fraud and Abuse.
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Northwestern University (B.S., 2004)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys