PETER L. ALTIERI is a Member of the Firm at Epstein Becker Green, in the Litigation and Labor and Employment practices. Based in the firm's New York office, where he serves as the Managing Shareholder, he concentrates on complex commercial litigation, antitrust/trade regulation, trade secrets, and employment-related litigation. Mr. Altieri represents clients in myriad industries, including financial services, managed care, trucking, and insurance. Routinely appearing before arbitrators, federal and state courts, and administrative agencies, he has handled mediations, arbitrations, injunctions, trials, and appeals covering a wide range of complex legal issues, including:
Mr. Altieri's reported decisions include:
- Quantlab Financial, LLC v. Tower Research Capital, LLC, 715 F.Supp. 2d 542 (S.D.N.Y. 2010), where the court addressed jurisdictional, necessary party, and related issues in a trade secret non-compete case involving the high-frequency automated trading industry.
- Deloitte & Touche, USA, LLP v. Jose Lamela, 2007 WL 111 4075 (Delaware Chancery Court, 2007), where on summary judgment following injunction proceedings and full discovery, he successfully challenged in many respects the enforcement of Deloitte's partnership agreement restrictive covenants.
- Ulico Casualty Company v. Wilson, Elser, Moskowitz, Edelman & Dicker LLP, 16 Misc. 3d 1051 (Supreme, New York, 2007), where he obtained partial summary judgment for his insurance company client against its former lawyers on a claim of breach of fiduciary duty requiring forfeiture of fees paid to the lawyers in excess of $3 million.
- New York Life Insurance Co. v. Media Communications Partners Limited Partnership, 204 A.D.2d 235, 612 N.Y.S.2d 144 (1st Dep't 1994), where he won a judgment of $16.3 million on behalf of a client who had provided debt financing for a wireless cable television company that subsequently defaulted. This judgment was affirmed and fully paid in less than 16 months, despite the other side's multiple assertions of fraud.
- International Distribution Centers, Inc. v. Walsh Trucking Co., 618 F. Supp. 98 (S.D.N.Y. 1985), where, following a six-week jury trial in federal court as second chair, Mr. Altieri obtained a $38.2 million verdict for his clients in a predatory pricing, monopolization, and unfair competition case involving the trucking industry.
In addition to his general commercial litigation practice, Mr. Altieri regularly advises clients and litigates on change-of-employment matters. In the past ten years, Mr. Altieri has both brought and defended numerous actions on behalf of employers, including several injunctive proceedings annually, on such issues as misappropriation of trade secrets, non-compete agreements, and breach of fiduciary duty.
Since 1984, Mr. Altieri has served as an arbitrator on the American Arbitration Association Panel of Arbitrators. He is also a member of the International Center for Dispute Resolution arbitration panel and is a certified mediator in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York mediation program.
Mr. Altieri is Chairman of the International Lawyers Network (ILN), an association of over 90 select law firms with more than 5,000 lawyers in 67 countries. He also currently serves on the Executive Committee, Antitrust Section, of the Connecticut Bar Association. He is a member of The Union League Club in New York City and of The Patterson Club, Inc., where he is the past president of the Board of Directors. Mr. Altieri has served as Secretary for the Uniform State Laws Committee and on the InterAmerican Affairs Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and as a member of the Benefit Committee of the Urban Justice Center.
Besides writing articles in various publications and coauthoring the Trade Secrets & Noncompete Blog, Mr. Altieri is a frequent guest speaker at business and professional group conferences and participates in Epstein Becker Green's Continuing Legal Education Program. He also serves on the firm's Quality Assurance Committee, Compensation Committee, and Board of Directors. A graduate of Fordham Law School, Mr. Altieri clerked for the Honorable Juan Torruella of the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and interned in the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York.
Mr. Altieri was recognized in Avenue's 2010 "Legal Elite" list of New York litigation attorneys. He has also been listed in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in American Law.
- Fordham University (J.D., 1980)
- Jessup International Moot Court Team
- Georgetown University (B.A., 1977)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- New York
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association, Executive Committee, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section
- New York City Bar Association, InterAmerican Affairs Committee