Epstein Becker Green's Personal Planning Group provides comprehensive advice and representation to clients in the areas of private wealth planning, charitable planning, business planning, trust and estate administration, and elder law. We tailor each estate plan to meet a client's tax and long-term objectives.
Our personal planning attorneys represent many nonprofit organizations in the development of trusts and planned giving programs, protecting their interests in Surrogate's Court proceedings. We establish and structure charitable trusts and special community trusts for persons with disabilities; advise charitable organizations about endowment programs, such as the organization and operation of donor-advised funds and supporting foundations; and counsel fiduciaries as individual executors/trustees and trust departments on their duties and assist them in the administration of complex trusts, estates, and guardianships.
Attorneys in Epstein Becker Green Personal Planning Group also advise and represent health care providers, insurance companies, and other major corporations. Our services include:
- Assisting in the development of new products and services for financing long-term care
- Counseling corporate employees and other individuals regarding elder law and health care issues
- Designing and implementing corporate elder care programs
- Developing institutional procedures for compliance with the Patient Self-Determination Act
- Developing procedures and guidelines for dealing with requests for refusal and the termination or withdrawal of medical treatment for competent and incompetent patients
- Providing legal counsel regarding the rights of hospitals and physicians to decline continued medical treatment no longer deemed medically appropriate (the issue of "medical futility")
- Training and educating physicians, social workers, and administrators about right-to-die issues
When disputes arise, we represent our clients in all aspects of estate litigation, including contested guardianships, will and trust contests, accounting challenges, and claims alleging breach of fiduciary duty, among other things. We also provide representation when wills or trusts need construction or reformation because of vague provisions or changes in laws that would result in adverse tax consequences.
Awards and Activities
- Epstein Becker Green was named the "2013 Law Firm of the Year" in Elder Law by the U.S.News — Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" survey.