KATHERINE R. LOFFT is a Member of the Firm in the Corporate Services and Health Care and Life Sciences practices in the Washington, DC, office of Epstein Becker Green. She focuses on all aspects of corporate and transactional law, including mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, joint ventures, and partnerships. Ms. Lofft has been recommended in The Legal 500 United States, both in 2014 in the Health Insurers and M&A (Middle Market) categories and in 2013 in the Health Insurers and Service Providers categories.
Ms. Lofft counsels and represents clients with respect to:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Strategic ventures
- Complex commercial transactions
- Corporate formation and governance
- Capital raises
- Licensing arrangements
Representative transactions include:
- Representing a large, not-for-profit hospital and health system in its acquisition, via a member transaction, of a not-for-profit acute care community hospital and its related enterprises
- Advising a full-service, nonprofit health insurer in connection with its efforts to launch a new service line and to negotiate associated sales, distribution, licensing, and related agreements
- Counseling a large, nonprofit physicians practice in connection with contract and governance matters
- Advising a nonprofit health plan and health care provider in structuring and negotiating a joint venture with a behavioral health provider to bid on a contract under a CMS demonstration plan for "dual eligibles"
- Representing a regional, nonprofit health insurer in structuring and closing an investment in an insurance exchange platform developer
- Advising a leading regional integrated health system in its collaboration with a provider of behavioral health services for children and adolescents
- Representing a provider of health and wellness engagement programs in closing an equity funding round involving both strategic and financial investors
- Negotiating the acquisition of a large and novel medical device by a regional academic medical center
- Assisting in the acquisition by management of the outstanding stock of a medical malpractice insurance carrier
- Acting as investor counsel in connection with the seed funding and initial equity financing of a women's health business
- Advising a large Medicare benefits provider on its strategic plans, including in response to federal health reform efforts
Ms. Lofft is a former Senior Vice President and General Counsel of GE Capital, Healthcare Financial Services (Commercial Finance division). She also served as Senior Vice President and General Counsel of a major online resource for family history and as Vice President and Assistant General Counsel of a global data communications provider.
Ms. Lofft has coauthored a number of articles, including "Delaware Authorizes Public Benefit Corporations: Will the First State be the First to Benefit Healthcare Organizations?" which appeared in the July 31, 2014, issue of BNA's Health Law Reporter; "Is a Hybrid Just What the Doctor Ordered? Evaluating the Potential Use of Alternative Company Structures by Healthcare Entities," which appeared in the April 2013 issue of the ABA Health Law Section's The Health Lawyer; and "Skillful Pilots Through Storms and Tempest – Different Issues to Consider in Physician Integration," which appeared in the December 2011 issue of AHLA Connectionsmagazine. As a coauthor of M&A Deal Strategies, 2011 ed. (Inside the Minds; Aspatore Books), Ms. Lofft contributed a chapter titled "Health Care Reform and Its Impact on Health Care Merger and Acquisition Activity."
Ms. Lofft is active in civic and community affairs, having served on the Boards of Directors of and as a volunteer for several non-profit and trade organizations. She is also a former adjunct instructor of business law and business communications.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D.)
- Smith College (A.B.)
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association