JULIE BADEL is a Member of the Firm in the Employment, Labor & Workforce Management practice, in the Chicago office of Epstein Becker Green. She represents employers in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, education, banking, transportation, advertising, insurance, search, and not-for-profit organizations. Ms. Badel's recent experience includes the following:
- Winning summary judgment in multiple cases before the Northern District of Illinois, including age discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, sexual harassment, and FMLA cases
- Prevailing in state court suits for retaliatory discharge, false arrest, and breach of employee handbook provisions
- Prevailing in age discrimination and NLRB cases, including a Gissel bargaining order case, in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Successfully litigating numerous cases before the state and federal courts and administrative agencies including the EEOC, NLRB, OFCCP, and U.S. Department of Labor
- Prevailing in same sex harassment and public accommodation cases before the Illinois Human Rights Commission and in an age discrimination case before the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
- Representing management in all facets of labor and employment law, including employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, wage-hour issues, unemployment, FMLA, WARN, OSHA, and traditional labor law issues
- Representing management in wage and hour audits under Illinois and federal law and in wage and hour class actions. Issues have involved proper classification of employees, deductions from salary, effect of bonuses on overtime rates, tip credits, and on-call time
- Providing harassment and diversity training
- Reviewing and revising handbooks and policies
- Representing management in Union avoidance, organizing campaigns, and unfair labor practices
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Badel practiced for 21 years at another Chicago-based multinational law firm, and for two years at a Chicago firm specializing in workers' compensation. She also served as a hearings referee with the Illinois Department of Employment Security and as an instructor at Loyola University College of Law.
Ms. Badel lectures and writes frequently on a variety of labor and employment law topics and on the ethical obligations of not-for-profit corporations. She coauthored Hospital Restructuring: Employment Law Pitfalls (Pluribus Press, Inc.) and contributed a chapter on unemployment insurance to an Illinois tax service series (Matthew Bender) and two chapters, on independent contractors and employee committees, to two IICLE books.
Ms. Badel is a Trustee of Glenwood Academy, a Trustee and Vice Chair of Finlandia University, a board member and former President of the Finnish-American Chamber of Commerce Midwest, a member and former Chair of the Finnish Council at Finlandia University, and former Vice Chair and Chair of the Chicago Bar Association Animal Law Committee. She has been selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list (2006 to 2016) in the areas of Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation: Defense, and Civil Rights and listed in Who's Who for years. She is also a certified mediator.
Ms. Badel's free time focuses on her beloved rescue and shelter German Shepherd Dogs: Major, Gabe, and Sara. Her other passions include an ancient but pristine Porsche 911, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, all things Finnish, Finlandia University and its Finnish Folk Music Camp (which she helped to found), music, cooking, gardening, antiquing, refinishing furniture, decorating, and crocheting.
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 1977)
- summa cum laude
- Columbia College (B.A., 1967)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Finnish American Lawyers Association