JOSEPH J. KEMPF, JR.,* is Of Counsel in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the firm's New York office. He has over 25 years of experience handling managed care and related regulatory matters. Mr. Kempf has extensive experience dealing with state regulators in successful negotiations on compliance matters, benefit mandates and interpretation, the creation and approval of new products, and plan features. He has provided legal and business advice on the management and resolution of member appeals and grievances, whether initiated directly or through state regulatory authorities, and on plan compliance issues.
- Analyzes legal and business issues involving the establishment and operation of managed health care delivery systems (including HMOs, PPOs, EPOs, pharmacy benefits, and prepaid service plans)
- Advises clients on compliance with, and the interpretation of, ERISA, including COBRA, qualified medical child support orders, and member materials and benefits
- Advises clients on legal and regulatory compliance issues related to HIPAA, privacy, and data security issues
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Kempf served as the Vice President and Plan Counsel of a managed health care company that served over one million members in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Earlier in his career, he was the Assistant Legal Director of the life insurance subsidiary of a large health care company and then served as the Director of Regulatory Compliance of another major managed health care company.
During law school, Mr. Kempf was on the staff of The Western New England Law Review.
*Not admitted in New York.
- Western New England University School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- cum laude
- Providence College (B.A., 1971)
- Connecticut Superior Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association