JOAN A. DISLER is a Member of the Firm and Chair of the National Employee Benefits Steering Committee. Ms. Disler directs a national practice that provides strategic and practical counsel to the firm's clients on complex issues relating to employee benefits.
Ms. Disler's practice focuses on all aspects of employee benefits law, including pension and welfare plans under ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code. Ms. Disler counsels a broad range of clients on employee benefit issues, with respect to mergers and acquisitions, qualified and non-qualified plans, deferred compensation and executive bonus plans, plan and trust documents, administrative services agreements, and plan terminations and reversions.
- Designs, implements and terminates employee benefits plans, including defined benefit pension, 401(k), supplemental executive retirement, cafeteria and medical plans
- Consults on administration with emphasis on IRS filings, summary plan descriptions, reporting and disclosure requirements and ERISA fiduciary duties
- Advises on employee benefit issues in corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Advises clients on a broad range of employee benefits matters, including qualified plan design, welfare plan design, employee benefit plan compliance issues, and employee benefit plan funding requirements
- Advises plan trustees and committees with respect to fiduciary issues
- Counsels clients regarding non-qualified deferred compensation plans and other executive programs
- Counsels clients on multiple employer pension plan issues and multi-employer pension plan issues
- Counsels a variety of clients on employee benefit matters relating to corporate transactions and restructuring and bankruptcy proceedings
- Represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service, with respect to applications for determination letters and corrections under the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System
- Represents clients before the U.S. Department of Labor, with respect to audits and applications for advisory opinions, and also before the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, regarding defined benefit plan termination issues
Ms. Disler lectures regularly around the country on varied employee benefit issues and developments and has authored articles on various topics of ERISA and employee benefits law. She is a Contributing Editor of the Benefits Litigation Update and also contributes to the Executive Women's Networking Blog.
Ms. Disler was named in Chambers USA (2007 to 2015) among the "Leaders in Their Field" for Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation. Chambers ranked her in Band 1 (2011 to 2015) and quotes clients as saying that she is a "very talented" employee benefit and executive compensation attorney and her "quality of knowledge and technical expertise really stands out." Ms. Disler has received an "AV Preeminent" Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. She was selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2013 to 2015) in the field of Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, named to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list (2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011 to 2014) in the area of Employee Benefits, and recommended by The Legal 500 United States (2013 to 2015). Ms. Disler was also nominated and selected as a 2015 Leading Woman Entrepreneur and Business Owner of New Jersey.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M., 1980)
- in Taxation
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark (J.D., 1976)
- Douglass College of Rutgers University (B.A., 1973)
- New Jersey
- American Bar Association, Section on Taxation
- American Health Lawyers Association
- IRS Northeastern Pension Liaison Group
- New Jersey Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee of the Taxation Law Section
- New York Employee Benefits Group