JASON E. CHRIST is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the firm's Washington, DC, office. Mr. Christ concentrates in health care fraud and abuse, government investigations, and health regulatory counseling.
- Defends a variety of health care entities in civil and criminal government investigations relating to health care fraud and abuse arising under anti-kickback laws, physician self-referral laws, false claim/false billing laws, and other state and federal fraud statutes including qui tam actions
- Responds to government inquiries including audit requests and subpoenas and shepherds all phases of discovery including e-discovery, data holds, preservation, and production
- Conducts internal investigations relating to health care fraud and assists clients with self disclosures
- Negotiates settlement agreements and corporate integrity agreements in connection with state and federal investigations
- Provides health regulatory counseling to a wide variety of health care entities including hospitals, medical transport providers, physician groups, urgent care, pharmacies, and health plans/MCOs;
- Advises on physician contracting arrangements and a variety of sophisticated health care joint ventures
- Designs policies, procedures, and compliance documents
- Advises clients on legal and regulatory compliance matters arising under the Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party reimbursement programs
- Assists clients in licensing and reimbursement issues associated with change of ownership
- Advises and defends a wide variety of entities in connection with matters concerning the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Handles drug pricing cases on behalf of health care entities in the pharmacy industry
- Develops cost effective strategies for discovery of complex health IT systems including electronic medical records (EMRs/EHRs), customer relations platforms, and other proprietary clinical billing and coding systems
Mr. Christ is a member of the adjunct faculty at American University Washington College of Law's Health Law and Policy Institute. He also routinely speaks and writes on matters concerning health care fraud and abuse and electronic discovery. While attending the University of Maryland School of Law, Mr. Christ served as the Managing Editor of the Journal of Health Law and Policy and as a research assistant for the Center for Health and Homeland Security. He completed the University of Maryland School of Law concentration in Health Law.
Prior to law school, Mr. Christ provided litigation support services at a firm based in Washington, DC. Mr. Christ's prior experience also includes performing internal audits for a government contractor and acting as a liaison to federal auditors. Mr. Christ can speak conversational Arabic and has extensive experience in the Middle East.
He is a coauthor of Legal Issues in Health Care Fraud and Abuse: Navigating the Uncertainties, 4th ed., published by the American Health Lawyers Association in June 2012.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- with honors
- Pennsylvania State University (B.A., 1999)
- with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, Political Science
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Penn State Alumni Association