GEORGE B. BREEN is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences and Litigation practices. He is Chair of the firm's National Health Care and Life Sciences Practice Steering Committee and a member of the firm's Board of Directors.
- Defends clients undergoing investigation for health care fraud by the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General, and other state and federal governmental authorities
- Serves as defense counsel in connection with False Claims Act cases (including qui tam litigation)
- Conducts compliance investigations and advises clients on compliance, reimbursement, and health regulatory issues
- Represents MCOs, HMOs, nursing homes, home health agencies, health care providers, manufacturers and suppliers before courts and administrative tribunals at the federal and state level, including challenges to regulatory actions and disputes under government contracts
- Defends individuals and organizations against claims of malpractice, professional liability, and other litigation matters
- Represents health care providers, manufacturers, and suppliers in connection with administrative hearings before state licensing boards
- Provides advice and counsel on peer review issues, medical staff appointments, and clinical privilege delineation for physicians and allied health professionals
- Advises clients on, and litigates, employment, labor, disability, non-compete and confidentiality matters
In addition to representing clients, Mr. Breen serves as a mediator and arbitrator for the American Health Lawyers Association's Dispute Resolution Service.
A litigator for over 25 years, Mr. Breen co-chairs the Health Care and Life Sciences Government Investigations and Litigation practice group at Epstein Becker Green. He also serves as Chair of the American Health Lawyers Association's Health Care Liability and Litigation Practice Group. In 2016, Mr. Breen was selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society that recognizes attorneys based upon excellence and accomplishment in litigation as well as superior ethical reputation.
Mr. Breen has been a member of a variety of professional organizations and is a Past President and member of the Board of Directors of the District of Columbia Defense Lawyers Association. He is also a frequent lecturer and author on issues related to health care fraud and abuse, corporate compliance, and trial practice and is a member of Law 360's Health Editorial Advisory Board. His commentaries have been published in newspapers and other publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Modern Healthcare, and Law360, and also by Bloomberg and Reuters.
Mr. Breen has earned an "AV Preeminent" Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of professional excellence. In addition, he has been selected by The American Lawyer and Martindale-Hubbell for inclusion in Top Rated Lawyers (2014 to 2016), for Health Care Law. In 2010, Mr. Breen was named an "Outstanding Healthcare Litigator" by Nightingale's Healthcare News, one of only 10 lawyers across the country selected for this honor. He has also been selected to the Washington DC Super Lawyers list (2012 to 2017) in the areas of Health Care and Civil Litigation: Defense and recommended by The Legal 500 United States (2014 and 2015).
In addition to his professional activities, Mr. Breen devotes significant time to charitable and nonprofit organizations. He leads Epstein Becker Green's Pro Bono Committee in the firm's Washington, DC, office, and in 2013, the American Health Lawyers Association named him an AHLA Pro Bono Champion, in recognition of his efforts in providing pro bono services. Mr. Breen is also active in his community. He has served as a member of the Parish Pastoral Council and the Strategic Planning Committee for the Good Shepherd Catholic Church, and he has coached in the Fort Hunt Little League and the Northern Virginia Junior CYO Basketball Program.
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law (J.D.)
- Connecticut College (B.A.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association - Chair, Health Care Liability and Litigation Practice Group
- District of Columbia Defense Lawyers Association
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow