Los Angeles: Wage/Hour Update
In response to the downturn in the economy, companies increasingly have been forced to make changes to their workforce just to survive.
However, employers often find it difficult to keep up with the rapid changes in the law, which is why wage and hour class actions now outnumber all other types of class action employment cases, and are the lawsuit du jour for plaintiffs' lawyers. One mistake, no matter how small, can lead to a class action, significant legal fees, and adverse publicity for your company. This month we will review the "hot" wage and hour issues, and provide practical advice on how employers can avoid becoming a target.
This month's topics will include:
- An update on wage and hour cases and legislation
- Strategies to avoid or minimize wage and hour litigation
- Wage and hour issues associated with the recession, including the use of unpaid interns and other "creative" ideas to reduce wages
- A primer on the legal "do's" and "don'ts" for furloughs, pay cuts and changes to exempt employees' salaries
- Recent trends in "off the clock" claims involving technology, remote access and Blackberrys
The cost per briefing is $55.00. A Continental Breakfast will be provided.