Lorman Seminar: Bedbug Invasions in the Workplace: Are You at Risk?
Susan Gross Sholinsky, Member of the Firm, will join a Webinar panel discussion titled "Bedbug Invasions in the Workplace: Are You at Risk?"
Bed bugs are back - big time. In recent years, the public went from never having seen a bed bug to now being a rather common occurrence. Bed bugs are most often thought to be associated with places where people sleep (hotels, homes, apartments, dormitories, etc.). Recently, however, they're increasingly showing up in less obvious places like schools, hospitals, movie theaters, retail stores ... and office buildings.
Dealing with bed bugs in the workplace can be difficult, draining, distracting - and sometimes nightmarish. This audio conference will show why they are such formidable foes, not to be taken lightly. Inspection, management, and prevention tips will be provided, along with tips for staying out of legal trouble.
Bed Bug Severity
History of Bed Bugs
Bed Bug Biology and Behavior
Bed Bug Detection
Bed Bug Control
Bed Bug Issues Associated With Home Owners and Employers
Employer Legal Obligations
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- Building Codes
- Health Codes
- What Might Be Legally Required of an Employer?
- What Will OSHA Do If It Becomes Aware of a Bed Bug Problem in Your Workplace?
What Can an Employer Do About Bed Bugs?
- Becoming Familiar With What the Bugs Look Like and What to Look for
- Being Diligent When Staying in Hotels
- Reducing Office Clutter
- Put Procedures Into Place
- If Bed Bugs Are Found, Take Immediate Action
- Avoid Claims of Defamation
- Don't Hide the Problem
Should Employers Create and Publish a Bed Bug Policy?
Leaves of Absence
- Must/Should/Will a Leave of Absence Be Paid?
- How Long Should a Leave of Absence Last?
- Are Accommodations (Disability-Related or Otherwise) Required?
What Can an Employer Do to Determine the 'Source' of the Bed Bugs?
What Should Employers Do If They Determine Which Employee Is the 'Source' of the Bed Bugs?
Are Employers Permitted to Terminate Employees for Bed Bug Related Reasons?
What Types of Liability Might Result From Bed Bug Related Claims?
Aside From the 'HR' Issues, There Could Also Be 'PR' Issues
For more information and to register, visit the Lorman Education Services website.