CARRIE VALIANT is a Member of the Firm in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice in the Washington, DC office and co-chairs the firm's health care fraud group. She is also Chair of the firm's Diversity and Professional Development Committee.
Ms. Valiant has more than thirty years of experience concentrating in health care fraud and abuse and government health care program payment matters, including:
- Defending clients undergoing civil and criminal investigation for health care fraud by the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General, and other state and federal governmental authorities, including the negotiation of corporate integrity agreements.
- Representing all segments of the health care industry, including hospitals and academic medical centers, clinical laboratories, managed care organizations, home health care companies, physician group practices, and pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors with respect to managing government health care program compliance risks, including the design and implementation of corporate compliance programs for health care organizations, preparation of OIG advisory opinion requests, and conducting internal investigations and voluntary self-disclosures.
- Advising clients with respect to compliance with the Stark Law and other regulatory initiatives in the fraud and abuse area, including restructuring physician-owned health care entities.
- Handling a variety of Medicare/Medicaid and other government health care program payment and certification matters, including substantial overpayment assessments, EMTALA complaints, and privacy and security breaches, including the preparation and negotiation of Corrective Action Plans.
Ms. Valiant's accomplishments include:
- Obtaining Justice Department declinations to intervene in False Claims Act qui tam cases and subsequent dismissal/summary judgment of qui tam relator cases
- Negotiating and settling various OIG voluntary disclosures without imposition of a corporate integrity agreement
- Currently active in the defense of various criminal and civil health care fraud investigations
Ms. Valiant writes and lectures extensively on health law fraud topics and is a coauthor of Legal Issues in Health Care Fraud and Abuse: Navigating the Uncertainties, 4th ed., published by the American Health Lawyers Association in June 2012. She has been included on Nightingale's Healthcare News' 2004 and 2009 lists of Outstanding Healthcare Fraud and Compliance Lawyers, selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2006 to 2017) in the field of Health Care Law, named to the Washington DC Super Lawyers list (2007 to 2011, 2013 to 2017) in the area of Health Care, ranked by Chambers USA as one of America's leading Healthcare lawyers (2007 to 2016), and recommended by The Legal 500 United States (2016) in the Health Insurers and Healthcare: Service Providers categories. In 1997, the National Law Journal selected Ms. Valiant as one of "40 Health Care Lawyers Who Have Made Their Mark" in the area of white collar crime.
Ms. Valiant founded and is President of the Health Care Industry Access Initiative, a non-profit, tax-exempt organization dedicated to promoting collaborative action across the health care industry to improve access to health care coverage and services in the United States.
- The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 1983)
- with honors
- State University of New York (B.A., 1977)
- at Buffalo, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association
Board of Directors
- Health Care Industry Access Initiative
- Washington Lawyers' Committee
- Women Business Leaders of the U.S. Health Care Industry FoundationTM
Board of Advisors
- Bloomberg BNA's Health Care Fraud Report