Substance Use Disorders
Epstein Becker Green provides complete legal support for substance abuse providers and treatment facilities, health plans, and associations in connection with a wide range of their transactional, regulatory, and strategic initiatives. Our clients include both provider entities and investor parents (such as private equity companies or health systems).
Our team includes attorneys who previously worked at U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, including the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and who stay up to date on the legislation, government regulations, and cases affecting the Substance Use Disorder (SUD) area.
Services/Scope of Practice
The full range of services provided by our SUD attorneys includes, but is not limited to:
- Helping clients navigate the provisions of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the 21st Century Cures Act, as well as the other federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines relating to mental health and substance abuse services
- Working closely with investors interested in the SUD space to evaluate regulatory risks associated with particular investments or acquisitions
- Counseling clients on mental health and SUD service coverage and reimbursement
- Providing guidance on, among other things, the confidentiality and privacy of SUD patient medical records, controlled substances, the purchase or sale of substance abuse treatment centers, and the implications of an ACA repeal or replacement on substance abuse treatment services and coverage
- Advising clients regarding their compliance with new legal developments that impact their organizations, and working with clients on implementing required changes