BASIL H. KIM is an Associate in the Health Care and Life Sciences practice, in the New York office of Epstein Becker Green. He concentrates on the areas of managed care, health care law, and transactional/regulatory matters.
- Counsels clients regarding legal and regulatory concerns related to Medicaid, Medicare, and other third-party reimbursement programs
- Negotiates, drafts and reviews managed care contracts, affiliation agreements, physician employment agreements, licensing agreements, management services agreements, and various other health care-related agreements
- Provides transactional, regulatory, and compliance counseling to health care clients, including hospitals, physicians, group practices, office-based surgical suites, and Article 28 facilities, related to practice structuring, risk management, carrier audit, and federal and state health care fraud and abuse issues, including anti-kickback and self-referral claims
- Advises health care clients on the corporate practice of medicine, the waiver of co-pays, health insurance products, and appeals processes
- Assists health care clients in evaluating, developing, and implementing health care corporate compliance programs
- Advises clients on federal and state privacy and security laws
Prior to joining Epstein Becker Green, Mr. Kim served as Associate General Counsel for the Visiting Nurse Service of New York, one of the largest not-for-profit home health care agencies in the United States, where he was responsible for a wide variety of legal activities across the corporation and specifically focused on New York State managed care and regulatory matters for its CHOICE Health Plan. He was previously the Director in the Office of Managed Care/Finance at the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, the nation’s largest municipal health care system, where he led, coordinated, and managed all facets of the negotiation, execution, and implementation of corporate-wide managed care contracts, among other responsibilities.
While at Brooklyn Law School, Mr. Kim interned at the New York County District Attorney’s Office, the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, and The Opportunity Agenda. He also worked at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, as a Global Health Fellow through The Sanford School of Public Policy at Duke University.
Mr. Kim received a Master of Public Health degree from Boston University School of Public Health in the dual concentration of (i) Health Law, Bioethics, and Human Rights, and (ii) Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., 2009)
- Order of Barristers
- Boston University (M.P.H., 2004)
- School of Public Health
- Dartmouth College (A.B., 2001)
- New York
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association